Friday, January 1, 2010

Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials

I’m not sure how well this works. Yes, Microsoft and free in the same sentence is rare. Right now I am using Panda Cloud and like it. But yesterday I worked on a system behind web restrictions and Panda could not access the internet. Microsoft Security Essentials may have been a good alternative. Worth a try. You do need to pass validation.

And Microsoft Security Essentials needs "fixing" sometimes? Who knew? Here is a little program to do it.

I get tired of Avira/AVG etc. and all the updates and splash screens … blah, blah. That is why I went to Panda.

Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials

If your PC is totally in the toilet and a virus is suspected I would recommend a fresh OS install after backing up your data. You may try a rescue CD and get the old girl going. Here is a good list of CD downloads. 13 Antivirus Rescue CDs Software Compared in Search For the Best Rescue Disk

Here are a few other ideas.
DrWebCurit
Combofix
Trojan Remover
HiJack This
WinsockXPfix (If net broken after fooling around.) (Vista/Win7 is supposed to do this natively)
Kaspersky Portable
Stinger McAfee
AVG Rescue CD

Edit: MSE turns off (by default) Windows Defender. My problem is that on start up I receive a message that Windows Defender is turned off ... Dah! I find no fix for this yet. Defender is a sticky little bugger, how Norton like. I am tempted to run the fix file mentioned above. A work in progress.

Symenu Stuff (Irritating Updates)

I've used Symenu for ages and appreciate the broad selection of apps and the easy updating of those apps. The easy update days are over,...