Friday, July 20, 2012

Gimp 2.8 Is Here

Gimp 2.8 is here. For Windows users this is the best place to get GIMP.

Anti aliasing is improved. I didn't like the text entry at first but like it now. The old way of text entry is still available but I have not reverted to it. Gimp 2.8 is very good.

Finding working plug-ins and extensions can be a struggle. This link provides and install program for many of the plug-ins in one package and claims to keep them up to date. Of course reinstall of the plug-in would be required. I was shy about using it and tried install the GAP portion, which is impossible to find anywhere else. GAP worked perfectly. Here is the full link:
https://code.google.com/p/gimp-extensions/downloads/detail?name=GIMP_Extensions_v2.8.20130215.exe

I has many plug-ins including G'mic. FX Foundry, liquid rescale, etc. I don't know if it installs Script Fu but I would dare let it install everything after my experience with GAP.

Creating a contrast mask works great if parts of an image are too dark or dull.
gaussian is 1% of average image size HxW/2x.01=gaussian amount

I think this is much better
I did sharpen with unsharp mask. Keep radius below 1 and raise amount
Same here but also added grayscale mask and sharpened after resize
He suggests selecting the foreground but I just dropped the opacity of the gray mask.
I lost some water color by not deleting the background from the gray mask.
I think the gaussian blur calculation helped also. Larger than I would have imagined.
This works wonders.
Here I selected and deleted the gray mask from the water and sky. It does look better.
This saves an unacceptable picture.

Open Code Stuff

Installing Open Code Desktop with Winget Open Code is a Coding Harness or Coding Agent that access AI models and performs tasks and function...