May need to log back on after Tailscale updates.
Hints:
Checking Status In CMD
tailscale status
"windows active; direct" is a good sign
tailscale netcheck
"UDP: true" is also a good sign
I'm an Anydesk guy. I tried RustDesk and it was fine but I didn't feel that their servers were as fast as Anydesk. Rust encourages setting up your own server which is more work than I wanted. With Tailscale you can establish a direct link between the two PCs through an encrypted Wireguard tunnel. This should be the game changer. (I the direct connection is interrupted it uses RustDesk servers)
Tailscale
winget install --id=Tailscale.Tailscale -e
Set up a Tailscale account.
Log in with Google and it's a go.
RustDesk
Not available on Winget now due to false virus scan report.
Set up RustDesk on the Host PC & Remote the same way.
On the Host PC
Click on 3 dot menu
Security and Unlock
Use permanent password
Enable direct IP access (This is the big deal) You need to type in the 21118 port number.
Now Tailnet addresses and local IPs are accessible.
Network and Unlock
No change here for direct connection
Caveat: Keep AnyDesk active. I had to use it to stop and start the Tailscale service today. It has only happened once in 2 years so no big deal.
If testing speed with Iperf:
Iperf windows version must be used and run from the command line to work.
Download the iperf for windows folder
Open CMD admin in that folder and run
On server
iperf3.exe -s -p 5202
On remote
one stream
iperf3.exe -c <REMOTE_TS_IP> -p 5202 -t 10
multiple streams
iperf3.exe -c <REMOTE_TS_IP> -p 5202 -t 15 -P 4
Great Tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27apZcZrw
You can access the share folder on the Server PC on a remote PC in File Explorer. \\IP_Address